Complex trauma stems from repeated and prolonged exposure to traumatic events. It can shatter an individual’s sense of safety and trust, creating problems that last long into adulthood. Rebuilding trust is a critical aspect of healing, as it lays the foundation for emotional recovery and rebuilding healthy relationships.
If you are struggling with complex trauma, it’s important to know that you are not alone and that recovery is possible. Let’s explore some effective strategies to help you navigate this intricate process.
Challenges in Rebuilding Trust
When someone suffers repeated trauma, such as abuse or neglect, they begin to have a negative view of the world around them. This can make it difficult to establish healthy relationships built on trust, safety and understanding. Here are some of the biggest challenges that survivors of complex trauma face in relationships:
- Betrayal and Disillusionment. Complex trauma often involves experiences of betrayal and disillusionment, making it difficult to trust others or even oneself.
- Hyper-Vigilance. Survivors of complex trauma may develop hyper-vigilance as a survival mechanism, making it challenging to relax and trust that they are safe.
- Attachment Wounds. Early attachment disruptions can lead to difficulties in forming trusting relationships later in life.
- Fear of Vulnerability. Opening up and being vulnerable can be terrifying for survivors, as it exposes them to the risk of getting hurt again.
Strategies for Rebuilding Trust
Since complex trauma is invasive, you can’t expect to overcome it in a short time. It takes a lot of work! This is why you’ll want to start by cultivating self-compassion. Acknowledge that healing is a journey, and it’s okay to have difficulty trusting. Treat yourself with the same kindness you would offer a friend.
Next, seek therapy with a mental health professional experienced in trauma. A therapist can provide a safe space to process and work through trust-related challenges. They can also teach you mindfulness and grounding techniques to help you stay present and manage anxiety symptoms.
Therapists who work with trauma survivors also reinforce the importance of creating environments that feel physically and emotionally safe. You can do this by surrounding yourself with people who respect your boundaries and prioritize your well-being. Additional strategies for overcoming complex trauma include:
- Keeping track of your progress in a journal
- Engaging in activities that make you feel empowered and in control
- Giving yourself patience and grace during the healing journey
- Celebrating small wins or milestones
- Effectively communicating boundaries
- Learning from healthy relationships
Complex Trauma Treatment in Los Angeles
Rebuilding trust after experiencing complex trauma is a challenging but transformative process. It requires patience, self-compassion and a commitment to your healing journey. By addressing the challenges head-on and implementing effective strategies, you can gradually restore your sense of trust, both in yourself and in others.
Breathe Life Healing Centers works with individuals who have experienced complex trauma. Our Complex Trauma Treatment Program offers a variety of therapies, such as EMDR, neurofeedback, medication and psychotherapy, to help clients overcome past trauma and rebuild their lives. Let us do the same for you! Contact us today at 800-929-5904.